This week a few people have asked me about Android and how to find the best apps.
I’ve decided to mini-blog some random bits and pieces that will be helpful if you are using Android for the first time. (If you are a super-user please don’t read any further – this is not for you)
If you have just bought an Android phone and have a sneaking suspicion that Android may be awesome: Read on.
The Beginning: To Root?
The very basics we don’t need to cover here. (turn it on and register Google etc.) But the first real decision you need to make is, “Do I root it?”
“Rooting” your phone is simply breaking down the security that keeps some features of the phone from your control. The makers of your handset don’t want you to mess with things that could hurt your phone (e.g. processer speed, which if overclocked [sped up] can end up cooking your handset).
But if you are reasonably confident, you should root your phone because there are heaps of fun and helpful things that I will be writing about that you can do only on a rooted handset. (Sneaky sample: complete backup of your phone, unrestricted customisation, remove annoying and pointless vendor applications)
This makes you slightly more susceptible to threats to your privacy, but only if you are silly and don't put any anti-virus on it.
The first rule is: Always check the rating and comments of any software you download before you install it. This is just common sense.
The reason I suggest doing this step first is that rooting may require you to wipe all data on your handset – this makes more sense if there is no data on the handset yet.
************DISCLAIMER************
This will void your warranty.
Neither I nor my employer nor anyone I know or know of would recommend doing this.
You can blow up your phone.
************END DISCLAIMER************
1) Think long and hard about whether this is the right thing for you. (Give me a call even)
2) Type “Root [My handset type]” in Google.
3) Hit enter.
4) Follow instructions you find.
5) If instructions don’t work, ask a nerd for help.
Good luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment